Thursday, August 25, 2011

Coming back to life

It was a long hot summer. My desire to actively read and engage with all-things preservation wilted in the heat. And so I read a novel (or most of it). I enjoyed my growing funk and R&B music collection. I visited Athens, Ohio. Mostly I waited for the heat to go away.

But the nights are getting cooler, windows are staying open, bread-baking season is in starting up, and I'm ready to re-engage the larger preservation world.

My desire for this fall semester of blogging is to continue the format that shaped most of my previous blog entries. My hope is to actively engage some recent preservation-related books (allowing myself a good bit of flexibility in how closely the books are related to the preservation topic.)

I've covered most of what I had in my initial reading bibliography and may eventually get back to the few unread books I have left on that list. I have a few newer titles which were not on my initial list that I will be reading next. Two of the books are specifically about preservation, but I think both will help provide a broader context within which to understand preservation.

Cultural Heritage Collaborators: A Manual for Community Documentation, by Melissa Mannon. This 2010 publication come from and archives context. My interest in this title was particularly caught by the active "community documentation" concept.

The other title, which I need to thank the ever-resourceful Dan Cull for making me aware of is Letting Go: Sharing Historical Authority in a User Generated World. Published Sept. 2011 by Left Coast Press. This title comes from the museum context. As one who is keenly aware of the authority the professional preservation community can assume upon itself, the ideas within this title catch my interest and I'm eager to read the authors' thoughts.

On a completely different vein, I saw that a revised edition of Kenneth Lavendar's Book Repair is out and I'd be interested in giving that title a re-read.(It's been a long time since I've read through a book repair manual.)

I'd be curious to hear if there are other recent books or articles that people would suggest as a worthwhile read. You can suggest titles even if you have no idea if they are worthwhile. As you can see, I cast my net pretty wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment