Saturday, October 6, 2012

Speaking on digital preservation

If you are in the Detroit area on Oct. 23 you can come hear me speak - or more importantly - you can hear several students, and recent students speak and present posters on various digital preservation topics. Converge and Ingest: Learning about Digital Preservation is the first colloquium put on the by Wayne State University NDSA (that's National Digital Stewardship Alliance) Student chapter.

I'm a graduate of the Wayne State program, and taught their intro to conservation course for a couple years, and when I saw their call for proposals I decided I'd try and come up with something. In my proposal I wrote "He will discuss how the lessons and skills of physical preservation can help inform approaches to digital preservation, and the challenges of approaching physical and digital preservation in a cohesive and complementary manner."

For some reason they accepted my proposal put this old conservator-type guy on the agenda. I'm not quite sure what they (or I) were thinking. Despite my presence on the the agenda it looks to be an interesting evening, and I always enjoy spending time with the students. Graham Hukill, one of the students in my Portraits in Preservation Student Edition, is also speaking.

And there's refreshments!

Welcome & Introductions
6:00 – 6:15 PM
Opening remarks from Stephen Bajjaly, Associate Dean and Director of SLIS at WSU; Kim Schroeder, Faculty Advisor for WSU NDSA Student Chapter; and Lisa Phillips, WSU NDSA Student Chapter President

Presentations and Q&A Session:
6:15 – 8:15 PM
“A Conservator takes on Digital Preservation”, Kevin Driedger
“Imagining an Ecosystem: Selecting a Digital Collection Platform for the Library”, Graham Hukill
“Data Curation on Trip to the Stars”, Nick Krabbenhoeft
“Dissemination Information Packages for Information Reuse”, Jessica Schaengold
“Desks Drawers and Trusted Repositories: Digital Preservation in an Academic Library”, Lance Stuchell

Poster Session & Appetizers/Refreshments:
8:15 – 9:00 PM
Poster session featuring research and work by WSU SLIS alumni and current SLIS students from Wayne State University, University of Michigan, and Indiana University.  Appetizers and coffee will be available at the poster sessions


No comments:

Post a Comment