Saturday, February 21, 2015

This is not preservation, That is not preservation

I have a growing interest in trying to understand what people - and I include myself in that group - mean when they use the word preservation. Curiously, I seem to encounter many more expressions of what people feel "is not preservation" which I suppose reveals something about their understanding of what is preservation.

So, here is a list created by a basic internet search of  quoted words and phrases that people have declared "is not preservation,"

  • Digitization
  • Digital imaging
  • Scanning
  • Transferring to a digital format
  • Backup
  • Publication
  • Access
  • Storage
  • Slowing the chemical reactions
  • Intention
  • Microfilming
  • Emulation
  • Capture
  • Organization
  • To freeze the past or what is present and thus to make it out of life
  • Saving facades only
  • Converting built environments into “historic sites”
  • Building a replica

No comments:

Post a Comment